Skip to main content

Unidata WU7800 Wifi Phone

Posted by stephenkkaye on Mon, 04/16/2012

This is not me sharing a script instead I am sharing an experience with these phones that I have been able to find the problem but am confused on the solution. But I wanted to share so that others do not go through the grief I did trying to get these phones working.

There is an issue with these phones that cause the hyphen to be removed from the usernames. Being that MTE adds a -"COMPANY" to every extension, it prevents the phone from being able to register.

I have found a workaround, but am a little lost on how to get it working correctly. Apparently you must add the HTML equivalent of a hyphen rather than the hyphen itself. Does anyone know what this would look like in the sip account line?

I have tried everything to no avail

%&#046 is what I thought it would need to appear like but when I add anything like this it doesn't keep any of the data and reverts back to the number of the extension only, no hyphen.

Submitted by stephenkkaye on Wed, 04/18/2012 Permalink

I did try now and it still removes it.. I really need to find a solution for this as I have multiple handsets that need to be installed. Do you know of a work around?

IS there a way for thirdlane to designate the different tenants with something OTHER than a special character?

Submitted by eeman on Wed, 04/18/2012 Permalink

nope. your choices are

a) check to see if maybe they fixed it years ago with newer firmware (been the case for other products in the past such as the polycom kirk wireless kws v600)

b) call the manufacture and bitch the hell out of them for not supporting the RFC standard as '-' is a perfectly legal and acceptable character for user account

c) use a different phone. Really how much is your time really worth that your spending all this time of a half-ass product that cant even support the RFC standards for interoperability?

Submitted by stephenkkaye on Wed, 04/18/2012 Permalink

Thank you for the words of wisdom eeman :)

I did find a solution for this situation through the help of a friend.

1. Navigate to the Basic Call tab.
2. Uncheck the "Remove dash on alias" option

Very simple solution to a complicated issue :) Bad korean translation put this option in an awkward place.

Sure hope this helps someone because this phone is actually a very nice phone. Been using it for a very long time with another asterisk PBX.