Hey all -
For the life of me, I cannot get the salesforce contact source integration working. I have searched for documentation and followed some but nothing is sealing the deal.
What is the best way to test the connection to see if its working? Is there a command line command I can use to see if my credentials and tokens are correct?
I got a 30 day trial for salesforce.
In connect, settings >> Integrations >> Manage Contact Sources >> Add Contact Source
Username: username I use to log into salesforce.com
Password or Access Key: password I use to log into salesforce.com
API Token: Token I received via email from Salesforce. Had to reset it under Account >> My Personal Information >> Reset My Security Token
Click Save. Then in the Integration tab, I make sure Salesforce (salesforce) is listed for Contact Source for caller lookup. Then in the contact tab, I clicked the gear and make sure salesforce was checked to be searched in.
When thats done, I tried looking up a contact that is only in Salesforce and I dont get a result returned.
I have also tried managed apps and OAuth tokens but that doesnt get me anywhere either.