Skip to main content

Polycom IP335 Message key

Posted by civey on Thu, 11/04/2010

I need some information in creating the second key on the IP335 to be the Message button.
I tried to make this a speeddial using the provisioning settings but this did not work.

I have the syntax - Add key.IP_330.10.function.prim = “Messages” but where can I put this in so it will work when I create this phone?

Thanks

Sorry for all of the questions but when I hit a wall with one issue I ask and move on to another issue.

Submitted by eeman on Thu, 11/04/2010 Permalink

add it to the override file /etc/asterisk/user_provisioning/polycom_local.cfg

if the file does not yet exist clone it from /etc/asterisk/provisioning

Submitted by civey on Thu, 11/04/2010 Permalink

Below is a copy of the file
I put it in but still not working. is thier something else I need to do?

OK dumb question maybe but how do I post the file contents?
cannot get it to go...

how should I put the key line info in the user_provisioning/local file?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

i see a problem with your characters...

change key.IP_330.10.function.prim = “Messages”

to

key.IP_330.10.function.prim="Messages"

(eliminate the spacings, and your quotes werent real quotes)

after you make the entry you still need to re-publish your provisioning file

I copied from the Polycom pdf

The quotes turned into this when I pasted on forum.

Thanks again for the help here just tested it worked like a champ.

now this isnt a softkey right? its to replace line2 with a messages button?

now the nice thing about the 3xx phones is if there is a pending message, it will make a softkey called Messages. I kinda wish it was always on top as a softkey.

It worked great for the IP335 but as far as the IP550 it dials *97 where can I update this file?

Also what phones do you use (I know Polycom).

The reason I ask is they are great phones but one thing eats at me is the small display on the 335 which is why I have to put number before name.

I wish they would allow caller ID to take over the whole screen when it rings so you can see the number and then the full name without the truncating going on.

Thanks

Submitted by eeman on Fri, 11/05/2010 Permalink

i don't. I had a customer that used it but his page looked different depending on the model of polycom. The only really good use I found for it was some sort of directory for hotel services like the spa etc. They could list a small advertizement in a microbrowser instead of just listing the TN.

Submitted by herron on Wed, 02/16/2011 Permalink

Is there anyway to eliminate the scrolling messages and Msgs softkey?

I am trying to get it where its just the light that indicates the new messages.

Submitted by eeman on Wed, 02/16/2011 Permalink

my experience with polycom is that just about everything is possible, the trick is knowing how to do it. Sometimes you gotta call in to get someone at polycom to give you the information. The next trick is to make sure in a mixed environment it doesnt do something unwanted on the 450's, 550's, and 650's.

i have to have an active extended warranty, and i have to go through my distributor. Once I get that far, I usually get good help when my question is what config changes do i need to make in order to disable some function.

the great thing about polycom phones is you can do just about anything with them and their config files are thousands of lines of settings.

the bad thing about polycom phones is you can do just about anything with them and their config files are thousands of lines of settings.

Submitted by herron on Wed, 02/16/2011 Permalink

love the good and bad..!!

i searched through the configs and i cant find how to keep the light on and disable the other garbage.

i know it can be done because the IP430s can so i think it might be a firmware thing.

i dont have any more active warranties or anything so i am SOL!

we always keep 1 model of each phone with a 36mo extended warranty on it.. its our 'loaner' should a phone we sell ever die while under warranty (almost never happens). This gives them a phone to use while its being RMA'd with polycom.