Skip to main content

Grandstream GXW-4108 setup

Posted by schat@schat.net on Thu, 07/08/2010

Has anyone setup a GXW-4108 in Thirdlane?
I found these directions online http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/gxw4108.html
but I am not sure how to setup this in thirdlane.
I have 3 of the lines used on the 8port fxo unit.
Thank you
Aaron

Submitted by eeman on Thu, 07/08/2010 Permalink

we dont want to tarnish the Thirdlane good name by making ANY claim of support with grandstream devices :-). If you get them to work by configuring manually or reverse-engineering our provisioning templates; great, good for you. I would rather crawl naked through broken glass than deal with the soap opera that happens when running grandstream devices. The quality is shit. Not just audio quality (which is also shit) but the fact that the units are so easily killed from power sources when $0.002 in simple diodes would have protected the entire PCB goes to just how shit the quality is coming out of their FAB.

There is an old chemist axiom... garbage in, garbage out.

if you are wanting to do FXO just buy a digium card and install it in your thirdlane STE box.

Submitted by schat@schat.net on Thu, 07/08/2010 Permalink

I Have a Digium FXO PCI Card and Third lane does not have any direct support for it.
I have also wanted to do a VM Server and I dont think I can get the pci card to work on the VM Server.

FWIW any DAHDI hardware from digium has digium support in getting you installed up-to-the-point of /etc/dadhi/* files being configured. Configuring chan_dahdi.conf in /etc/asterisk is a piece of cake and can be done inside of 5min, just specify what ports are why type of signalling and point it to contex=from-outside ... thats about it apart from group assignment. You do it 4 or 5 times in a week and youll be able to do the entire thing inside 5 min every time.

like shit... asterisk runs like shit in a virtual machine. Ive tried it, ive tested it, I even thought I had it beat for 6 mos before the problems crept in. But they do creep in. virtual clock cycles just screw with things over time.

Submitted by schat@schat.net on Thu, 07/08/2010 Permalink

So What external fxo analog gateway would you suggest?
Also Can I bring in 4 analog lines in like I did with the internal fxo card as a fake did or do I have to do it as a special line?
I looked under special lines and it does not look like I can set it up in a schedule for open hours and closed hours.
Thank you

well lets say you take a device like the linksys SPA-8800 (4fxs/4fxo) or the SPA-3102 (1fxs/1fxo). You can configure the linksys to dial a specific number on the pbx on an incoming line..

call comes in.. it opens a SIP session to the server calling 5025551212 .. when the call hits the thirdlane server it tries to match 5025551212 against your inbound routes. This is how you map the analog lines to a DID with those devices.

on the asterisk side you set up a sip trunk declaring it as a from-outside context picking some random 6 character password.. make sure its alphanumeric. Its still a trunk, its just coming from your gateway. You're going to have to make a unique trunk for each and every line on a linksys because each line has its own screen for username/passwd.

on the linksys for each line you'd set up the sip information and include the number its to dial on the pbx.

Im pretty sure the echo cancellation on the linksys is going to be better than the grandstream, but I'd be willing to bet that its not going to be quite as good as what the VPMADT032 module can do.