Skip to main content

KWS300 provisioning template

Posted by olekaas on Tue, 03/24/2009

Hi,

I've taken the first stab at building auto-provisioning files for Polycom KWS300. The files can be downloaded for a limited period from:

http://ipinion.dk/kws300prov.tar.gz

Notes:

Requires at least firmware PCS03

Label field is (mis)used for handset IPEI numbers. They must be written exactly like this without quotes: "00077 05501360"

Even though dhcp is selected as configuration for network, all xml tags for network must be present for networking to work properly.

Provisioning settings will be cleared/overwritten when mac-config.xml is deployed during provisioning. It is not possible to preserve provisioning settings by leaving out xml tags regarding provisioning.

It seems that it refuses to download mac-users.xml if firmware .bin file is unavailable.

After provisioning all handsets needs to activated manually to work.

More testing...

/Ole

Submitted by eeman on Tue, 03/24/2009 Permalink

looking at your file, are you sure you set tos correctly? 96 is too high for decimal DSCP.

111111 = 63

typically you set it to EF which is 46

or is this a diffserv? Whereby 96 is CS3 and 184 is EF

can timezone and ntp server be left blank and it get its information for DHCP the way regular phones get their info?

was ftp://{$$SRVER}ipnion:7 this a typo? if not what is this supposed to tell the base station?

Submitted by olekaas on Wed, 03/25/2009 Permalink

Following the instructions from Polycom, I just downloaded the configs from the base and edited them to suit my needs. The TOS, DSCP etc. is simply the default values - I haven't messed around with them.

My guess is that timezone and ntp will be overwritten by DHCP if provided by DHCP (the rest of the network config do).

DUH! There was some lag on the ssh terminal when editing this. It should say ftp://${SERVER}/ and is where the provisioning files live. The syntax is protocol://[user:password@]host/[path]

AFAIK protocol can be tftp, ftp or http.

I have a command script that inserts credentials for the provisioning server (ftp) into the mac-config.xml when all files are created.

/Ole

Submitted by eeman on Wed, 03/25/2009 Permalink

great. I will add this to the list of polycom updates I am sending alex. BTW you'll want to remove the lines= statement. That sets the value of ${LINE_KEYS} when 'All buttons' is selected. It does not interact with the provisioning page to determine a maximum number of times you can provision a button.

Submitted by olekaas on Wed, 03/25/2009 Permalink

Ohh - figured that one wrong. I think a have a few 'lines' statements that I need to edit...

Was there somthing about adding custom fields in auto provisioning? Using the label field is just an ugly workaround. For some it migth be better to use access code instead af ipei numbers (or both if you are paranoid).

I'll soon have a couple of KWS6000 for a new customer. I'll post new provisioning files for that when I get something working.

/Ole

Submitted by eeman on Wed, 03/25/2009 Permalink

nothing about custom fields. They did net you assign a global variable but if you know how to edit a file with vi then writing a static value in the template is no different that statically assigning a value to a variable in the portal.

Submitted by olekaas on Fri, 05/01/2009 Permalink

I've now setup 2 ip6000 systems with 14 base stations each. The provisioning files are the same as kws300. With the experience so far I have some recommendations and things to watch out for:

When provision files have been generated, go edit the base config to suit your setup - or setup the ip6000 server as you want it, backup the base config and copy it to the provisioning directory. When done, write protect the file. You absolutely don't want it to be overwritten by accident and you seldom need to correct anything once the system is running. I would recommend the same for kws300.

The users config where provisioning of the handsets is defined need some care to work properly. If there's an error (not xml error) the ip6000 bails out and drops a note in the log that the file could not be processed due to an error in record X. It only detects the first error - the next error will be detected at next reboot. So if you have 5 errors - you need to correct one at a time and reboot after each correction to get them all (arrrg! - reboot takes several minutes!). The log doesn't tell you what the error is - only which user record. You have to figure it out your self. Things to look for: too long strings and special chars. I've asked Polycom to:

- Skip bad user records with error warning in the log instead of dropping the entire file.

- Truncate long strings with a notice in the log.

- Ignore special chars with a notice in the log.

/Ole